BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 11, 2010

JFLOODART.COM




ARTIST STATEMENT

My pictures come from deep in the gut, they’re raw and visceral. They never pull any punches or worry about offending anyone’s delicate sensibilities. Some of my paintings fail and those are the ones I appreciate the most. My paintings are living daydream and glimpses of a lost childhood. Some of my pictures have been called bummers in bright colors or pop art nightmares. I am from the school of thought similar to Picasso that art should be used as a weapon of warfare, not simply to decorate people’s apartments. Contemporary Vandalism is most important type of postmodern art.
My art is, for the most part, entirely intuitive although my subconscious is obviously constantly being affected by the world around me. Through a dirty esthetic sensibility I attempt to reproduce the feeling of the streets in a densely layered and textured surface which I juxtapose with clean illustrative forms and line work

I found art as a young teenager through the conduit of graffiti. The pure destructive element of graffiti appealed to me. My pastimes up to that point included fist fighting my best friends and throwing rocks and lemons at random cars. Creation always is born from destruction.

Even in the digital age we are still attracted to art. It allows some type of dialogue about feelings and ideas that cannot be expressed verbally. It allows us to briefly touch the supernatural and converse with things that don’t exist.

ART IN PRINT

Arizona Daily Star – 2009
Lifetime of Secrets - 2009
Arizona Daily Wildcat - 2008
Tucson Weekly (cover story) - 2006
All Nation Volume 3 - 2006
Downtown Tucsonan – 2005
Day In the Lyfe Magazine Issue 3 – 2005
Elemental Magazine Issue 61 - 2004


PRINT ON ART

Uncouth Kids. Photographic Memoir - 2009
Contributor to artasauthority.com 2005 – 2008

SELECTED SHOWS

Check 2 Check
Tucson, AZ
Dual group show at Living Room and Parasol Project, 2009

Urban Detritus
San Diego, CA
One man solo show at Art Produce Gallery, 2008.

Ugly Kids
Tucson, AZ
Group show at Lulu bells Toy Bodega, 2008.

Whiz Kids
Tucson, AZ
Group show at Shot in the Dark, 2008.

Copy
San Diego, CA
Group show at Simayaspace, 2008.

Graffiti Funk
Queens, NY
Group show at Concrete Jungle, 2007

Durka Durka
Tucson, AZ
Group show at Shot in the Dark, 2006

Can You Burn This: The Art of Urban Renewal
Tucson, AZ
Group show at 36 Chambers Gallery, 2006

Connections
Tucson, AZ

JFLOODART.COM

0 comments: